Sunday, October 23, 2005


my coworkers and MTV Julie at the ill-fated reception


Me, Ben, & Abby at the NCAAW booth

This was National Collegiate Alcohol Week at UNLV, which I planned. I'll sum it all up with a quote from "Elizabethtown," my favorite movie of the week... "A failure is simply the non-presence of success. Any fool can acheive failure. But a fiasco is a disaster of mythic proportions. A fiasco is a folktale told to others to make them feel more alive because it didn't happen to them."

Yes. A fiasco. We planned major (and by major, I mean expensive) activities all week long, and the only one which drew a crowd of more than two people was our keynote speaker reception for MTV's Julie Stoffer. She was the BYU gal who was on the New Orleans season of Real World.

Originally, I had booked Harry Reid, thinking that the senate minority leader would be a good choice. But then I got in huge trouble because apparently public universities aren't supposed to have partisan speakers. So the next obvious choice, of course, would be to book a girl from an MTV reality show, right? Haha. So we booked her and she came to speak, drawing a crowd of mean-spirited frat boys who heckled her the instant she got up to speak. She didn't help matters much by talking about how one of her favorite high school past times was watching people get drunk. Let's just say it got really ugly really fast.

Basically, the whole week was mega-expensive with meager results. The activities I planned wasted thousands
of university dollars. Not only that, but there was a major public backlash against alcohol-free activities. I'm not saying that UNLV needs to be BYU, but it was just... sad. But the week is over, we learned from it, and life goes on. I'm staying positive.

***********

Also, Blair was in town for the SPJ conference. We had a good time on Sunday. Tuesday evening, however, involved uncharacteristic drama-rama... my car battery died in the Harrah's parking garage, while I was temporarily parked in a handicapped space. Then, a big scary drunk dude stole my CIE 658 notebook. Lovely.

Poor Blair. All he wanted to do was ride the dangerous rides at the Stratosphere and visit the Diesel store. And all I wanted to do was hang out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wait, on the phone you said he stole your notebook, but now with the cie and the numbers it sounds like he stole your computer! is blair a redhead? neat. -minda

Heather Bay said...

CIE 658 is my lame-o Tuesday night class. You're having BYU flashbacks, my darling. Haha. Wouldn't it be funny if I named my computer, like, R2D2? "Minda, meet my date this evening, CIE658."

Nicole said...

I saw on the .org that you're going to see the Decemberists over Halloween. Did you see my ridiculous post about wanting a t-shirt more than anything? I shall cut and paste...

To any of you who are going to see The Decemberists in the near future, I need your help.

You see, I love The Decemberists. I went to their show intending to buy a t-shirt, but they only took cash (of which I had none) and there was no ATM. I planned on going home and ordering one off their website store, only to find that the shirt I wanted only coming in an adult XL on the site, whereas at the concert they had all sorts of sizes (I think even kids sizes). So here is my plea. If you are going, contact me. Buy me a shirt and I will pay you back, including whatever it costs to ship the shirt. Yes folks, I want this shirt that badly. I take either an adult small or a kid's large. I want the grey shirt with the bird on the front.

Please please please.

Email me if you're willing to make my wildest dreams come true.

petersns@stolaf.edu

So yeah, I'm not sure if you're willing to do the above, but I would love you forever. A college student can never have too many t-shirts, especailly when doing laundry is expensive. Please let me know.

- Nicole

P.S. I'm not really sure how often you check your comments. I was going to email you, but you don't have your address on the .org proflie.

Anonymous said...

Hello stranger, I find your blog strangely mesmerizing. I can't help but feel that it's missing something...maybe it needs more stories about a plucky young man. His name could be, oh I dont know, how about Jeff, or Johnathan, you could call him Nathan for short. Peace out-

Nicole said...

Dearest Drummergirl,
Nevermind about the shirt. All has been resolved. :-)

- Nicole