Monday, October 03, 2005




Gavin was born this morning at 5:16am. He weighed over 9 lbs. and was 21 inches tall! His parents are thrilled (especially his mom) and big brother Corbin was eager to welcome his new brother into the family.

As I hunted for a parking space amongst the miles and mile of parking lot this morning at UNLV, I had an epiphany. I was about to settle for a parking space in the b.f.e. region of the parking lot, closer to the Wynn Resort than to UNLV, and literally two miles from my office... and I thought to myself, "I DESERVE A GOOD PARKING SPACE." I decided then and there not to settle for a comfortable space in the back row of the Thomas and Mack. Soooo I dredged along into (gasp) the first few rows of cars. It took a little effort and some shrewd driving maneuvers, but sure enough, I was able to wrangle a sweet space in SECTION ONE of the parking lot. As I gathered my belongings and walked to work, I discovered I could easily draw a paralell to the rest of my life. Never again will I settle for less-satisfactory circumstances, no matter how comfortable they might be, whether in career moves, dating, etc... I really am a good person, I work hard, I'm nice to other people, and I feel that I really work hard for a satisfactory life.

I searched the UNLV website for an image of the packed parking lot, but I could not find one. Apparently miles and miles of congestion and road rage is not a good selling point for an urban university.

So instead I will post photos from Nauvoo. I largely thought I had moved past the time I spent serving in Nauvoo, but this weekend's reunion has renewed my gratitude for having had the opportunity to serve in such an amazing place with so many wonderful people who I love very much.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow congrats on the big baby boy