Monday, April 18, 2011

Bridesmaid Dress Blues

Would anyone be really upset if the concept of bridesmaid dresses was just eliminated from the Earth? As a bridesmaid, I was very lucky that my friends selected comfortable, modest, stylish dresses that could be worn again. However, as I've been perusing the bridesmaid dresses currently on the market, it leads me to believe that people must really hate their friends. Why else would we make make our closest girlfriends wear these ridiculous, expensive, revealing frocks? I literally cannot find reasonably priced bridesmaid dresses that are not sleeveless, which presents a problem, considering that the majority of my bridesmaids are LDS and need to be covered up.

When did we decide that all bridesmaid dresses need to be strapless? Visit the websites for David's Bridal or Alfred Angelo. I dare you to show me even one sleeved dress. Go ahead, I dare you!

The easy answer, the answer I'm dreading, is that I need to suck it up and go to one of those LDS specialty stores. However, they are ridiculously overpriced and, based on four separate experiences at four different stores, I've found them to be generally obnoxious and very unlikable. But that's a blog for another time...

Another option (that I'm afraid I might have to reject) is having my friends just wear a dress they already have. My issue with this is that I want my bridesmaids to stand out from the crowd and look special; I don't want my very special friends to look like just another wedding guest. They have been so special and so important in my life, and I want them to look that way on my big day.

The most ludicrous option, of course, would be for me to attempt to make the dresses on my own. Unfortunately, this would involve sewing, and as we've already established, I am unable to sew in a straight line.

Yikes. Its a good thing I'm only getting married once because I really suck at this.

3 comments:

Aaron and Emily said...

I found dresses that I liked in Provo, that weren't too expensive. Maybe time for a road trip? BYU booktore or jc penney's i think. Anywhere outside of happy valley is hopeless.

Wendy said...

Yeah, bridesmaids dresses are pretty much the scourge of the earth, but I think they've vastly improved since my own wedding. Maybe look outside of the dedicated "bridesmaid" realm. There's this awesome website, eshakti, in which if you find a dress you want but you need it to have sleeves, VOILA!, you can have them add sleeves- whatever kind of sleeves you want, to boot. or maybe you need it longer? Shorter? Different neckline? Done. And they're not outrageously priced, especially in the context of wedding attire. (They sell other clothes, too. It's pretty awesome. Check them out, for rillls.)

Cindy said...

Hi Heather!! Cute blog. I have to say as a former bridesmaid, a few months ago, my friend had us all dress in black, with a accent of her color , and we found a piece of jewlery and wore that day. The maid of honor was the one that had the dress made, but she was a seamstress. Also, you have them dress in black and make some colored wraps. I also noticed davids brial and some of the others have little jackets you can wear over the strapless dresses. Just saying! Congratulations!