Reasons why our students will benefit from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame "On the Road" programs:
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has video conferencing about history and significance of rock & roll music
- "On the Road," Distance Learning Program, "on the road: Opening Act"
- just finished 3rd full year, connected to 28 states and 4 countries, over 10,000 students!
- Overview of course offerings:
- offer classes for grades 3-12
- interactive & interdisciplinary
- explore popular music and its social meanigns while meeting academic content standards
- analyze historical performances, images, and documents
- view behind-the-scenes clips (curatorial, oral, historical)
- engage in question and answer segments
- Course Offerings:
- Rock & Roll Reactions: records, radio and the birth of teen culture in 1950's
- how Rock & Roll helped break down racial barriers
- Ball of Confusion: music and social change in the 1960's and 1970's
- most popular class, fits in well with variety of classroom settings
- Vietnam War, Civil Rights Movement, counter culture, Women's Rights
- how musicians reflected these concerns in their music
- compare and contrast performances
- Dylan vs. Hendrix versions of "All Along the Watchtower"
- Hip Hop Technology: from turntables to computers
- trace the origins of hip hop, 1973 in the Bronx, NY
- at the end of class students can act as producers creating a hip-hop act live in studio
- Ambassador to the Orchestra: the arranger in rock & roll
- focused more on music, how rock & roll and classicl
- Inductee Spotlight: Frank Zappa
- Planet Rock: Global Perspectives on Popular Music
- Inductee Spotlight: The Dors
- Ball of Confusion II
- Great Moments in Rock and Roll: popular music through the decades
- how rock & roll connects with society
- show classic moments
- Chuck Barry live performance of "You Can't Catch Me,"
- ask students "why is this a great moment in rock & roll history?"
- ask, "how is this breaking down racial barriers?"
- during live performances, a rope would separate black and white audience members, but during the performances, the rope would fall and teenagers would just enjoy themselves
rock and roll hall of fame distance education
- online access to pre and post connection packets with lesson outlines, supporting materials, and classroom activities
- pre-connection call
- the class!
- offered 9-5 eastern time
- at least 3 weeks notice, usually sold out by March
- 30 students per class
- talk to tech coordinator for video conferencing equipment
- polycom, tanbergh