Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's official!

I'm teaching third grade next year! As a kid, though, I hated third grade. My teacher was frightening, but luckily, she was absent most of the year. She told us that she saved up all of her sick days and was going on a trip to Hawaii. She blatantly favored certain kids, screamed a lot, and was generally very sarcastic and cold. In fact, I can't think of any favorite projects or events from that entire year. I really wanted to please my teacher, but I just remember being stressed out a lot and always being afraid of her. Scary, I know. (Incidentally, CCSD recently named a new school after this lady- further proof that I have no idea what it takes to make it in this school district.) 

Can any of you supplement my memories of third grade with happy fun stories? I'd really like to know what made your third grade year special.

5 comments:

Emily B said...

I LOVED my third grade teacher. Her name was Mrs. Belleau (like Ba-lue), and her maiden name was Ms. Green, so we thought she was cool because she kind of went from a color to a color. She drove this awesome seventies beetle, and the other teachers would roll it inside the school and leave it displayed there every year on her birthday. And it was also cool to go into third grade because I moved from lower level elementary (k-2) to upper level elementary (3-5). Yeah, third grade was a good year for me. I think you'll enjoy teaching that age.

VirtualM said...

Sadly, I can't remember the third grade. I remember second and fourth, just not third. I think it had less to do with the teacher, though, and more to do with all of the snotty kids in my class.

Good luck!

Heather Bay said...

I know, third grade is the year when kids start to get snotty. I've taught 1st, 2nd, 4th, and I student taught in 3rd. So far, I think 2nd grade is my favorite. They're more independent and less dramatic.

Amanda XOX said...

I liked 3rd grade because we started changing classes and teachers depending on the subject. I also remember learning to play Oregon Trail on those old Apple computers. Fun times!!

Send me an email if you need a lesson or anything teachery from 3rd grade that I can email your way.

Wendy said...

Ms. Murray was my 3rd grade teacher (as well as my 1st grade teacher after I switched out of evil Mrs. Wards's class) and she was THE BEST. She was nice, had incentives for earning treats, and didn't act like we were actually the ridiculous 8-year-olds that we were. I don't remember a ton about third grade other than the class representative election (I lost to TIffany Udy), spelling and times-table tests and getting glasses (the horror), but Ms. Murray made it awesome. I was in a play the summer after fifth grade and she came and brought me flowers. She really seemed like she cared about us and that made her our favorite.