Thursday, October 30, 2008

In this time of introspection,
On the eve of my election,
I say to my reflection,
"God please spare me more rejection."
- Ben Folds, Army

For the last 10 years or so, I've chosen the end of October as a time to reevaluate the direction in which my life is heading. I know that most people do this on New Years, but I feel like that's the easy way out because everyone knows that New Years' Resolutions are just a token effort to feel better about ones' self after eating ones' own weight in holiday food. =)

So the biggest change in my life is that I find myself newly single, after ending a 10 month, largely long-distance, relationship with a very special person. Sure, it's easy to wallow in a puddle of "what if's." At this point, however, I think the healthiest thing would be to just suck it up, consider what I learned, and focus on the future. This is the strategy that I usually rely on after a devastating disappointment, and so far it's proven well.

4 comments:

Shanny said...

I am trying to think of something to say, but this is all I've got:

:(

Hang in there, Heather. I love you!

Wendy said...

I think you've got a pretty good philosophy. But remember, sometimes it's okay to wallow. I think you can't really get past it until you let yourself feel everything associated with it- until you let yourself grieve for it. Like they say, you gotta go through it to get over it.

I wish I were in Vegas with you. There would be much yogurt-eating.

Heather Bay said...

mmmm. yogurt...

Amanda XOX said...

Go buy something really nice to go with that yogurt!! Like that house by me =o)