Tuesday, November 04, 2008

While I enjoyed everyone's fabulous Halloween photos with their adorable children, I feel sad that I don't have anything likewise to share. I didn't have the heart to dress Cocoa up this year (see Wendy?), but I did get dressed up with my fellow third grade teachers at school. We are currently teaching our students about symbols of the United States, the election, and colonial America. So we had Uncle Sam, George W. Bush, Hillary, and Betsy Ross. Who knew that my Nauvoo dress would come in handy as such a versatile costume? (Thanks, Sister Hatfield!!!)

Keeping with the patriotic theme, I hope that everyone makes it out to vote today!!! I am so grateful to live in a country where we can have a voice and make a choice. It brought tears to my eyes to see my third grade grade students, who come from a very low socioeconomic area, actively research the candidates and make an informed choice about who they support. These young kids are so excited about democracy, about voting, and about making a difference in their community. 

If you want to have a heartwarming experience, click here to view my school's patriotic morning ceremonies. I'm a little partial to the third grade video from September 26th and the fifth grade video from September 12th. =)

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Thank you for sparing Coco. She will be eternally grateful. Your school Halloween costume was great!

Amanda XOX said...

I think the 3rd grade sang way louder than the 5th grade. Looks and sounds like you're going great things at this Empowerment school! If you need someone for Career Day, send us an email. Mike loves doing that stuff!!

VirtualM said...

Dressing up dogs is part of the madness. It wouldn't be Halloween for us without pugfest and some sort of embarassing outfit for our dog.

It's always great to re-purpose things. I'm a little bummed that I sold my graduation gown...think of the possibilities: zombie grad, vampire grad, rastafarian grad - you get the idea. Next year you can be zombie Betsy Ross!

Anonymous said...

UGH! I just watched the third graders do their "Proud to Be an American" song. It always gets me! We are so lucky to live in this country. Also, I really miss those kiddos!!!